Where did FreeSpeech go ??
Visiting again? - updates
to help ex-President Obama as he ponders terror,Voter ID,FBIHarry Truman
Civil Asset Forfeiture,A little Bit of Reality,Commentary,the NFL, 9/11
Reagan's Soviet Jokes, Comey & Barsoomian, We Forgot!, Senate Testimony
"Carbon Footprint" - 2019 Steel production,China produces 53.3% of the world's crude steel.
Cancel Culture Comes to France,
Another election year Political Cartoons
Speaker Nancy Pelosi and President Donald Trump both go to Hell
- Pelosi's punishment,can't release Donald's income tax records
- Trump's punishment, has to sleep with Nancy
Table of Contents.This site presents a great deal of Nike Hercules historical, technical and operationalinformation and provides extensive links to Nike related books, documents, museumsand to other Nikerelated web sites. This site also provides aphotographic tour of Nike site SF-88 (being restored), location and status of Nike sites,and aList of Nike People,some on-line documents,a bulletin board,a search, a Photo Exchange,an FAQ, and a variety of other features.
The above is archaic (1954-about 1974) -however the Russians are playing "games" again.
Table of Contents
gotta have a little fun
(Model) Nike Launches from BA-79 just outside of Baltimore
from David Zuchero - Jun 22, 2020
I am working with a group of volunteers who are restoring BA-79 just outside of Baltimore.Last week I launched a scale model of the Nike Hercules from BA-79 off of the one of the elevator doors.Probably the first time any Nike every left the launch site at that base, lucky for all of us!
from JP Moore
This example shows the importance of accuracy in your tax return.
The IRS has returned the Tax Return to a man in New York City after he apparently answered one of the questions incorrectly.
In response to the question, ... "Do you have anyone dependent on you?"
the man wrote: ... "12 million single mothers, 7.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack-heads, 4.4 million unemployable scroungers, 80,000 criminals in over 85 prisons, plus 450 idiots in Congress and a group that call themselves Politicians."
The IRS stated that the response he gave was unacceptable.
The man's response back to the IRS was.... "Who did I leave out?"
What Nike is all about
Nike Hercules Missile Q5 High Altitude Intercept- 1.5 minutes
This three minute video is a (successful :-) test of an early Nike Ajax destroying a radio controlled WW-II B-17.Later tests verified that the Nike Ajax was also a killer of higher flying sub and supersonic jetssuch as used by the Soviet Union.The next generation was the Nike Hercules which was faster, longer range, and could carrynuclear warheads to destroy multiple targets.
The "plotting room" equipment shown in this video must have beenan engineering prototype -Things were much more crowded when installed in thetwo vans -among other things, the plotting boards hereare horizontal,in the BC van, they are vertical.The analog computer operational amplifiers are different, big tubes here, in the vans they were "miniature" tubes, and on and on - the zero set switches (the round spinning things in the analog computer) were a little different style -
I think you could say that this equipment was"re-packaged" forfield use.
Mike Stucka, a staff writer for the Taunton Daily Gazette, was looking for images for a Nike storyand e-mailed "This story is interesting, and everyone is so darned helpful."
( That story has disappeared - I should have made a "local copy" ! )
I thought fora bit and replied:
"These were good days for lots of now older folks - and we were quite proud of - the learning experience - some of us even got a little more "mature" ;-)) - doing something useful - better than flipping hamburgers or selling shoes ?
"Most look back andsmile, and like to share the warm feeling :-))"
This site has become a cooperative effort as more than 350 people havecontributed text, stories, ideas, information, and corrections.
The Nike surface to air missile system was named after the winged goddess of victory in Greek mythology. Two versions of this system defended the U.S.and other places from hostile aircraft.
The 1st version, the Nike Ajax, was deployedin the U.S. from 1954 to the early 1960s. It had an effective range of 25 miles.
The 2nd version, the Nike Hercules,was developed which was faster, had a range of over 75 miles, and had nuclear capability.The Hercules was deployed starting in 1958.In 1963, there were 134 Nike Hercules and 77 Nike Ajax batteries defending the U. S. - as per"Rings of Supersonic Steel".
Both versions above are made light and transportable by wheeled vehicles, transportable in cargo planesfor "easy" mobility.With practice and preparation, a site could be moved in a long, hard day.As many parts as practical are made of aluminum or magnesium, the standard power frequency is400 Hertz (cycles per second) saving iron and weight in transformers and motors as in aircraft.
The Hercules is still in use (with an improved computer and a few other enhancements) by several countries today.
This web site does not present photos, histories, nor detailed status of most NIKE sites.I link to other web sites take up that interesting challenge.
Almost all Nike Hercules related information has been declassified - the only exceptions are some IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) information, some flightcharacteristics, and some nuclear warhead information.This site has a little information on the Nike Ajax, and no information on Nike Zeus(external link).
I installed and maintained Nike Ajax fire control equipment (radars & computer) atChicago site C-41 during 1955-1957.Maybe "we" deterred "them".I have served as a volunteer helping restore an old Nike site (SF-88) near San Francisco for the National Park Service.
About submitting photos to this web site.
Colorful Pictures, Movies, Brochures
Two "action" pictures and four movies
Hercules Night Launch,
(17 K bytes)
From previous army pictures at
Nike Ajax Intercept - 1 minute, Internet Archive
Nike Hercules Intercept -1.5 min, Internet Archive
Hercules Launchs - 6 min, YouTube
Nike Hercules night launch
The missile (with booster) was launched 0.4 seconds ago, is accelerating at25 times the force of earth's gravity, has risen 60 feet, and it is now going 210 miles per hour.
Four seconds from now, the missile will be:
If the target is 90 miles approaching at mach 1.5, the missile willmeet the target 60 miles away in 90 seconds.
- going 1,700 miles per hour straight up,
- separated from the booster, (the black flaming thing with the white fins),
- turning (diving) towards the intercept point with the target,
- starting the sustainer rocket engine to reach 2,700 miles per hour.
The Nike Hercules shown here defended major U.S. target areas againstaircraft attack from 1958 to 1974. It had an effective range of over 75 miles and a speed of mach 3.6.South Korea has over 200 of these missiles, withassociated radars and guidance systems, currently in service.
Its predecessor, the smaller Nike Ajax, was in service from 1954 through about 1965.It had a range of 25 miles and a speed of mach 2.5.
...... Click here for expanded graphics scanned by Pete WurzbachC/4/562 Alvarado, Texas
A short easy introduction to the Nike Anti-Aircraft system - from Michael Keller- posted May 3, 2013Click on image to download the .pdf "Camp Sarafi", South Korea
from Al Dietz ...I believe the balloon antennas are left to right: TTR, TRR, and MTR.The LOPAR acquisition radar is behind the building.
I don't normally post pictures of individual sites (too many),but isn't this bleak ?? Gads - imagine winter -
A Great Photo Study of an abandoned Nike site - by Rich Lewis
Lumberton, New Jersey PH23/25, Rich Lewis photo study
A local HTML version, (I worry about "good stuff" going away.)
Intercept - A little more technical ;-))
This is a plot of a Nike Hercules intercepting a target flying at 52,000 feet.
The vertical scale is altitude in feet. (max 100,000 feet)
The left trace is the Nike missile, the right is the target.
The horizonal scale is computed time to intercept, in seconds.
The middle is time zero, intercept.
Note: Against high flying targets such as this, the Hercules does not necessarily go above the target.
from TM9-1400-250-10/2 page 36,Manual
Cold War in South Florida, ... Study available free online - posted Mar 4, 2010
The Cuban Missile Crisisby James Whitaker (Nike, South Florida)
Click on image to download the .pdf
Good news. The Cold War Study of Nike Hercules in South Florida ($19.95 plus shipping) has been re-released in pdf format as a public domain document.
The tours of HM-69 has been overwhelming at Everglades National Park for the second year. Tours will be conducted through the end of March.
Charles D. Carter
The Cold War is an Electronic War (Soviets shot down 23 of our ELINT Planes) 36 minutes through 44 minutes
Michael Keller wrote (Feb 2009) & (Dec 2010) & (Aug 2011) & (Dec 2012)
Cover of 2 MByte brochure Just found this nice piece on Ebay.Printing Date is 10-15-56."The purpose of this booklet is to informhigh-school graduates-and their parents-ofthe matchless opportunities that lie withinthe Army Antiaircraft Command."Well, most of the once-adressed kidswill be retired by now, but maybe theyremember this booklet. Its a 3 page folder, size 500mm x 100mm.(Yes I prefer metric):) But look, on the frontcover:seems that track LIMA296 has slipped through!!:)) It has a beautiful painting inside, anda funny 70's scene on the backside. It contains the original Team Nike decal, and a small brochure.Both items came to me together with the MISSILE MASTER booklet. [600 KB]
The diameter of the decal is 4,06 inch. (103 mm)
with kind regards from germany,
A recruiting brochure featuring the Nike Hercules, "Now making its appearance on-site."
Nike HistoryNIKE I Systems, - 4.5 MB - from Greg Brown
- Acoustic Ears
- Pre-Nike (Anti-Aircraft Guns)
- Remember history? World's Biggest Bomb
- Nike Historical Information
- First Nike Missile Site
- Nike Technical Background, Then & Now
- Nike A Remarkable YouTube Presentation, - 10 minutes - recommended by Jon Little
Nike in Overall Air Defense
TU-4 "Bull" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
TU-95 "Bear" Bomber
TU-22M "Backfire" Bomber
photo credit Wikipedia
- 416L is thename of the North American air defense system. ( 28 page, 3.3 MByte .pdf document )
- DEW LineDistant Early Warning Line - more
- Pine Tree Line (with techie error about how radar cooks)
- Some info on Texas Towers1,2,3,, Picket Ships1,2,3,AirForce, ...
- SAGE(Semi-Automatic Ground Environment)
Nike Site Technical information
- Nike Site Overview
- Nike Integrated Fire Control (IFC) Area Overview
- Acquisition Radars
- Battery Control
- Tracking Radars
- IFC Test Instruments other thanRadar Aiming Alignment
- Lesson 8. Target Simulation - 1.2 megabytes
- - IFF Symbols and FUIF symbols
- Greg's Nike Utilities fans, heaters, event recorder, ...
- Nike Radars and ComputerManual, MMS subcourse number 150
- Nike Training Films
- Nike Launcher Area Overview
- Formal Names
- Nike Hercules Updates Allied Supportability Program
- Good news ;-)) Nike not considered obsolete. ;-))
Nike Operational information
- Command and Control of Nike Batteries
- NORAD History via Greg Brown
- Nike Hercules deliveries, from Ken Bahr
- Life on a Nike Site
- Nike Missions Surface-to-Air, Surface-to-Surface,Radar Bomb Scoring
- Nike Battery Alert
- Nuclear Nike Launch Authentication Procedures
- Target Practice
- Nike Site Support
- Documents from a Battery Commander - from Earl Close
- Air Force provides long range radar data to Army Nike centers - (off site) 1960, after I left
- The National Guard *is* Ready
- US Army units on NATO Countries Batteries-by Richard Scheffler
- Life before Transistors
- Nike "Kill Ratio"? or "How good was Nike"??
- Closing a Nike Siteby Edward Dowd
Support for Nike Field Batteries (and museums)
On-Line documents ( Atempting to sort - somehow ) - Longer range radars another site
- Documents w/out numbers
- Documents wnumbers
- Un-Numbered Documents - recently added at top (here)
- Colonel Loop's Nike papers, added Oct 6, 2019
- NIKE Hercules in service in the Royal Netherlands Airforce - Updated Dec 2018
- Ajax Firing Report - Text ,Event Recorder from ???
- RAND Study RM-2560 NIKE Ajax reliability study from Cory Newman
- EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) Effects from Nuclear Space Bursts1962 Test Bursts and Analysis,EPRI HEMP 2017 Executive Summary,EPRI HEMP 2017
- Army National Guard in Air Defense 51-74 -from Danny Johnson- 18 MBytes
- Nike - U.S. Army Toxic and Hazardous ..., alsolocal copy via Ken Conger - Mar 2014 - 3.3 MB
- NikeAjaxOrd&PropellantHandlingProcedures-1-July-1954-TempSites.pdf 1.2 MB, fromRon Plante Mar 21, 2014
- Winged Victory - The History of the Nike Missile Training ProgramAt Fort Bliss 48 pages, 7 megabytes
- Nike-Hercules Technical Data - by Western Electric,about half the pages, 10 MBytes - from Greg Brown
- 412L Aircraft Warning & Control System 1959-1980 7 megabytes, from Jim Tarbet
412L Systems Drawing, from Jim Tarbet
- Introduction to Radar Systemsby Sloknik, An external SERIOUS book, archive.org
- Antiaircraft Journal1948-1954 - spotted byMark Morgan via Ron Pickinpaugh added July 2010
- Army Preventive Maintenance Magazine - Notes, Nike - fromMichael Keller
- U.S. Army Air Defense Digest 1965
- U.S. Army Nike Brochure (Improved Hercules, recruting)
- Emerging Shield.PDF from the Air Force History Office.- spotted by Peter Goetz P.Geol.
- Redstone Arsenal, 11 minute publicity video - spotted by Olav ten Broek
- Production of Hercules Missiles by Douglas Aircraft -thanks to Tony Moore
- "Ring of Fire"Could Nike missiles have protected U.S. cities from a Soviet attack?
- on www.radones.org
- "What We Have, We Shall Defend: An Interim History and Preservation Plan for Nike Site SF-88L, Fort Barry, California" by J.A. Martini and S.A. Haller,National Park Service GGNRA, San Francisco, CA,Feb 1998External link to NPS,local copy - (870 kBytes)
- "An Antiaircraft Artilleryman 1939-1970,- my life in the antiaircraft for 30 years from private in 205th CA(AA) Seattle National Guard to retired Army colonel."by Wilfred O. Boettiger (now for sale at Xlibris)
- A SAGE Movie - thanks to Ben Abzug
- [ICBM] INTERCEPT TEST HITS BULL'S-EYE We couldn't do this with Nike
- Link to offsiteVigilant and Invincible (local back-up)
- Field Trip to North Bay - (to see a SAGE installation)by Gordon Bell (12 megabyte .pdf)
- Missile Master - brochure - Thanks to Robert C Barr
- Excess Report, NIKE Hercules Site D-FW-20, Terrel, Texas,
- - .pdf, 1.12 Megabytes, includes site drawings, thanks to Mark Berhow,
- Last Line of Defense from the National Park Service
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1966" a Management Overviewof US Air Defenses
- "US Army Air Defense Digest, 1972" a Management Overviewof US Air Defenses
- Nike AJAX Historical Monograph OCR, PDF, by M. Cagle
- Nike HERCULESHistorical Monograph OCR,PDF, by M. Cagle, via M. Berhow
- Introduction to SAGE, 14 page visitor's document
- Site Summit - Nike Hercules Missile Installation June 1996
- The Nike Preservation Group Newsletters
- From SF-88, Nike News
- The Launching Pad 5th Missile Battalion Veterans
- Offsite links to T1 .pdf manual & NAMFI Hercules Launch QuickTime movie(big files!)
- W-25: The Davidsonville Site and Maryland Air Defense, 1950-1974 byMerle T. Cole
- To Defend and Deter: The Legacy of the United States Cold War Missile Program Warning - 70 megabytes of .pdf - - spotted by Dave Fields
- History of the OOZLEFINCH by Errol Porter (Published with permission.)
Documents with Numbers - those marked "(if requested)" have not been scanned yet. Let me know if you want to see one.- a .pdf file of the manual- spotted by Tom Page
Two lists of Nike Documents, List-Nike-Technical-Manuals.pdf andGOGA-List-of-Manuals.pdf from Charles D. Carter
FM 44-8 Antiaircraft Operations Center and Antiaircraft ArtilleryInformation Service December 1954,8 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman FM 44-8 -Army Air Defense Command Posts August 1962,with change 1 - 1964,2 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman FM 44-9 - AN/TSQ-51 Missile Mentor System, August 1967, 5.4 MByte,copy from Cory Newman FM 44-10 U.S. Army Air Defense Fire Distribution System AN/FSG-1(Missile Master) February 1963, 6 MByte .pdf, scanned by Cory Newman,images trimmed by Ed Thelen FM44-80 - Procedures and Drills of the Nike I System -Table of Contents, Manual - 24 MByte .pdf MMS Subcourse Number 150- Nike Radars and ComputerManual, MMS Subcourse Number 150, revised November 1973 MMS Subcourse Number 151 - Nike Missile and Test EquipmentManual, MMS Subcourse Number 151, revised November 1973 MMS Subcourse Number 900 - Lesson 2. Major Units of the Nike Hercules Missile - from Manual, MMS Subcourse Number 900, "Nike Missile Maintenance" Revised March 1973 - 2.1 megabytes MWO 9-1400-250-30-22 Modification Work Order, to Launcher area PIO4324, "On Site On Guard", 1963 2 MBytes ST-44-188 - AN/TPS-1G, a close relative of the AN/FPS-75 ABAR acquisition radar used in some Nike sites
- Introduction to Radar ST-44-188-1 -fromChuck Zellers
- Introduction and Start-Stop to the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-2G- fromChuck Zellers - 3.8 megabytes
- Modulator and transmitter of the AN/TPS-1G ST-44-188-3G - fromChuck Zellers - 2.5 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Receiver System ST-44-188-4G- fromChuck Zellers - 2.08 megabytes
- AN/TPS-1G Moving Target Indicator System ST-44-188-5G
- (Chapters 1 - 4) - 2.1 megabytes (Chapters 4+ - )- 2.7 megabytes- fromChuck Zellers
- AN/TPS-1G Indicator System ST-44-188-6G - 3.8 megabytes- fromChuck Zellers
T1 Field Manual 7.6 megabytes - thanks to Rolf D Goerigk TM-5-1450-201-15 Elevator, Hydraulic, Guided Missile, AutomaticallyOperated Doors -31 MBytes
and Elevator Docs via Bruce Long,
TM 9-1400-250-10/2 - A great introduction to theNike Hercules system, in technical manual format - 135 pages, and also in smaller sections.(There is also a Tactical Control section) TM-9-1410-250-12/1 - OPERATOR AND ORG MAINTENANCE MANUAL: MIM-14A AND MIM-14B (NIKE-HERCULES AND IMPROVED NIKE-HERCULES) November 1967 TM-9-1410-250-24P-1-2 Organizational, Direct Support and General Support Maintenance Repair Parts and Special Tools list Including Depot Maintenance Repairs parts and special Tools - Illustration Supplement for ... MIM-14B and MIM-14C - - 10 MB .pdf TM 9-1410-1250-12/1(FMS)Intercept-Areal Guided Missile MIM-14A, B, C - July 1981, 88 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk TM9-1430-250-12P/10/2 Illustration Supplement for ... (Improved Nike-Herc) - 12 MByte TM-9-1430-250-15P/9/1 Radar Course Directing Central Director Station - 1969 @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-250-24P-9-1 special tools ... for Director Station @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-251-12/3 Unit Schematic Diagrams -Computer System and Data Recorder @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-252-12/2 Unit Schematic Diagrams - Target Tracking and Missile TrackingRadar Systems and Radar Test Set TS-847/MSW-1- October 1966 @ SF-88 TM-9-1430-253-12-4 - Chapter 3Overall Physical description of the Radar Course Directing Central - Improved NIKE-HERCULESfrom Josef Wiesner TM9-1430-253-14P_2_2 Nike Plot Pages 125 to 152 TM9-1430-253-34 TTR, TRR, MTR, Radar Test Set- DS & GS Main. Man. - Google scan, via Jack Anderson TM-9-1430-257-20 Hercules Acquisition Radar @ SF-88 TM 9-1430-1256-12/1(FMS)Check Procedures, Target Tracking, Target Ranging, Missile Tracking Radar Systemsand Radar Test Set Group - Allied Configuration, September 1983, 28 MBytes - from Rolf Goerigk TM9-1440-250-10-1 Nike Hercules Overall System Description TM9-1440-250-10-2 List of Nike Technical Manuals - from Charles Carter
GOGA List of Manuals which may be available at Golden Gate NP- from Charles Carter
TM 9-1440-250-20-1 GUIDED MISSILE LAUNCHING SET, Organizational Maintenance, Nike-Hercules Launcher repair kit.pdf - 9 pages from Michael Keller TM9-1440-250-29P-6-2 Illustrated Supplement Rail, Launching-Handling Guided Missile, M3A1 1450-00-474-0717 TM_9-1440-252-34 Hercules Monorail Laucher, Launching-Handling Rail,side truss, loading rack support, launcher transport modification kit,and launcher basic accessory kit TM_9-1970-2_Feb_58, part 1,part 2,Ammunition Antiaircraft Guided Missile M1 (Nike-Ajax),Identification, Description, Packing, Care, Handling,Preservation, and Destruction (each about 4 megabytes )fromScott Murdockvia Ron Plante TM9-1970-2-35P Field and Depot Maintenance Ammunition, Guided Missile,M1 (Nike-Ajax), Repair Parts andSpecial Tools List
- 2 MBytes, from Michael Keller viaJames Fee Langendoen
TM9-5000-3 - NIKE I Computer TM9-5000-9 - Acquisition Radar Circuitry -13.5 MByte, TM9-5000-13 - Nike I Computer - SAM Problem Analysis, DC Amplifiers, Automatic Zero Setting, Servo Loop Elements, and Power Distribution - 6.3 MBytes TM9-5000-14 -Computer Prelaunch Section and Initial Turn Section Circuitry2.7 MB TM9-5000-15 - Computer Steering Section Circuitry - 6.8 Megabytes TM9-5000-18 NIKE 1 Systems, TTR Transmitter and Receiver Circuitry - 8 MBytes TM9-5000-19 - Target Tracking Radar Range and Presentation Circuitry3.7 MB TM9-5000-20 - TTR Antenna Positioning Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-21 - Missile-Tracking Radar Circuitry - 10 MB TM9-5000-28 NIKE 1 Systems, Nike I MissileGuidance Unit TM9-5000-29 - Missile Electrical Checkout Equipment- 9.3 MByte TM 9-6092-1-1 - Antiaircraft Fire Control System M33C and M33D Operation, June 1956 TOE 44-535T, 1959-TO&E, 753 KBytes, pdf, from Charles Carter
Places to visit, physical and on-line- J.P. Moore votes this best
- Red Canyon Archeology, (20 MB), via Mark Sale, permission granted
- J. P. Moore's RED CANYON RANGE CAMP web site
- Google Nike videosYouTube Nike videos
- Nike Movies on Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nike and
http://www.archive.org/details/nikeherc01 - To open,click on "Unknown" in the "Stream (help)"box. Service can be a little slow.Spotted by Mike Stucka
- Manufacturing Nike equipment
- How to Visit SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Photo tour of SF-88, the Nike Site being restored
- Locations of Former Nike Sites
- Maps showing Nike sites
- Nike Museums & Displays
- Nike, Military related and other favorite WWW sites
- Three Nike sites in National Register of Historic Places, Cold War Resources, 1945-1989 - I understand the Army is about to obliterate listed Site Summit March 2004 Help Save Summit, -spotted by Thomas Page
People and Trip Reports
- List of Nike People, Please add your self to the list
- History of Nike SF-88 Restoration - just starting -
- Current volunteers at SF-88
- On-going Maintenance at SF-88
- SF-88 ?Benign? Neglect
- "Nike and Me" by Elliot Deutsch - added Dec 2016
- 2004 Red Canyon Reunionorganized by Ron Pickinpaugh
- Ed's Crete Trip Report (NAMFI Nike Firings),side trip to Bletchley Park
- Trip Reports
- Ft. Bliss Foreign Student Handout Handout .pdf 8 Megabytesfrom A.J.M. (Jos) Weijenberg
- 1999 White Sands Missile Range Trip Reportand Red Canyon Reunion
- People (even soldiers) like pay.
- 2012 Florida Nike 2/52 Reunion ( lots of big pictures )
- Ken Bahr Docs mostly Surface to Surface development testing
and The 1974 digital conversion of Nike Hercules.
- Nike People Stories
- Nike Technical Stories
- An illustrated article by a Nike officer at BA-18, gives a flavor of the army, includingscrounging for trading material ;-))From the Coast Defense Study Group (CDSG) Journal, thanks to editor Mark Berhow. 5 MB .pdf, Dec 2013
- Nike in Movies - Mark Ferguson wrote "LA site in Malibu, was used in the movie, "Escape from the Planet of the Apes". You can see a Deuce and a half rolling out of the admin main gate and the mess hall was used for the "Hospital" in the movie.
Also, there is anepisodeof Mannix, where they run around a HiPar dome, that was in the IFC area."
- "A "Cold War" decade as a Missileman in Air Defense"- by Eric P. Muth - updated Nov. 2006
- Once busy "Red Canyon Range Camp now dozes"- by Jim Eckles
- Ken's & Friend's RCAT Korner (stories)
- Images of Soviet bombers and airfields
- Frequently Asked Questions ("FAQ")Radar Bomb Scoring - the Air Force using Nike equipment
- Unit Histories
- Eric Muth et.al. vs. CIA, DoD, and U.S. Army 134 K Byte .pdf
Spotted by Jay Youngbluth
- Burial at sea via Thomas Pepper
- North Platte,Nebraska
- Soviet SA-2 missile system
- MSGT Roy Benavidez Message To America,What he did
- Vietnam memorial by state & city
- a short video WWII Recon Pilot - Spitefire via Ron Pickinpaugh added 2018
- a proposed documentary film "Missiles at the Gate" - Sept 2017
- Federal Color Standards
- Military Humor
- Nike Hercules Manufacturing,Local Copy - Aug 2015
- An excellent Nike System description - in French by "Gaston J. Dessornes" - 10 MB .pdf, July 2014
- A Nike Ajax Missile restoration project - Turning junk into beauty
- then came Oct 2012, Hurricane Sandy - devastation :-((
- - A Nike Simulation "Game" - Sept. 2018
- Hpasp provides Soviet equipment simulationfrom this web site.
- I (Ed Thelen)have not run the above program and can guarantee nothing.
- Even better than The Statue of Liberty :-))
- Got tired blood? World Class Drum & Bugle from Eric Muth
- "THIS I BELIEVE" by Robert A. Heinlein
- The Famous Patton Speech
- What has America become?
- 2nd Verse of the Star Spangled Banneradded June 7, 2010
- Ratings of Veterans Charities- from Jim Biles
- Physics 10 Physics for Future Presidentsnon-techie physics lectures from Berkeley - need fast internet connection. You might be especially interested in the lectureson radioactivity and nukes.
- Reactions to a magazine article - from e-mail
- Bull Crap Journalism
- Help with Cold War Metal - letter fromJim Rhodes Cold War Veterans Association
- Nike Folk Art
- Photo Exchange
- Start your own Nike Web Site
- So you want to do Nike Research?
- Nike Recruiting Brochure
- Sample Technical Diagrams (Schematics)
- Nike Glossary
- Search for people
- Yarbourgh's "How To" book
- Nike Components in use today
- Are there Nike Models, Kits, Dimensions?
- Nike Aircraft Kill vs. Patriot Scud Kill
- Remedial Efforts
- Korea Songbook - Hum along ;-)
- Thanking Veterans - newest near top
- Star Spangled Banner As You've Never Heard It via EPM
- Little Known VA Benefit (updated Jan 2018)- fromJames Biles -jtbiles @ earthlink . net
- Robin Williams as the American Flag
the "NFL" :-(( via Thomas Pepper, Oct 1, 2017
I'm now watching what we Americans call "Soccer" :-))
- Burial At Sea via Thomas Pepper
- An Airline Captain's Report via Thomas Pepper
- Taps with Andre Rieu's orchestra. Full length. Beautiful trumpet solo.
Remember that silly tale spread by the Obama administration about the cause of the Benghazi Massacre
"Someone in Los Angeles offended Muslims."
reminded me of this "joke",
and a not so funny poem.
Little Known VA Benefit - fromJames Biles -jtbiles @ earthlink . net Angel Flight It is the Veteran Veteran vs ("liberal") Politican Jane Fonda Memorial History Not Taught in School! Bill Mauldin, for Willie&Joe, 1921-2003, 1.1 million Veterans do not get the multi-million dollar bonuses handed out to bailed out Wall Street gougers TAPS Ann Margret :-)) Memorial for Darrell "Shifty" Powers of "Band of Brothers" A Simple Thank You The Rock The Final Inspection It Won't Be Long And They Will Be Gone - forwarded by Byron Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel
From Richard Brody, author of "Standing Guard at the 38th Parallel" - What really pisses me off- glad you asked- is that the dogs killed in Vietnam have a website dedicated to them, listing each of the dog's names. None of the US soldiers lost (killed) in Korea after the war, (which never really ended), are listed anywhere as casualties. Only their moms, wives and families know, and some of us who were there and lost buddies :>(( Veteran's Day Poem Christmas Poem Simple Soldier Experts or at least helpful Stories about SAGE,Sage Talk,manual Introduction to SAGE AN/FSQ-7 & AN/FSQ-8 An (offsite) Nike game web page - dead link collecting aadcp information Military Occupation Specialty Codes (MOS)
Formal identifications (as per Ron Parshall).
TARGET TRACKING OA-858/MPA-4 Missile Tracking Radar OA-859 MPA-4
About photo submission
New policy: I am introducing a Photo Exchange so that those who wish to share can,and those who wish, can ask.I hope this works better than my previous "no photos"policy.You are still invited to look up web sites who specialize in a particulararea, and offer there.
Good news ;-)) Nike not considered obsolete. ;-))
Return to Technical
Subject: Status updat of my FOIA to Redstone Arsenal for the history ofthe Nike Hercules weapons system by Mary T Cagle
From: James Newman < jamesnewman1976 @ yahoo . com >
Date: Mon, July 17, 2017
I just got my FOIA to Redstone Arsenal US Army Material Command denied. I am going to appeal within the 60 day time limit. This document was denied under Executive order 13526 section 3.3 Section 4 "For State of the art technology" the document will remain classified for 50 years from its creation date until 2023. Vacuum tube technology of the early to mid-1950s is not state of the art technology. This system went defunct in 1980 when the last Nikes were decommissioned in Florida and Alaska.
General diagram of a Nike Hercules site.
Figure from FM 44-1-2 ADA Reference Handbook, 15 June 1984, as found on page 20 of "Rings of Supersonic Steel".
If you have comments or suggestions, Send e-mailto Ed Thelen(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Some flattering pictures of Ed, a short bio.
This page updated Feb 3, 2018
The rest of this web site is being enhanced frequently.
- - - - - - - - More Topics - - - - - - - - -
A ABC-ComputerAllen Telescope Array,AnalogDiscovery,Antonov AN 124,Apollo Guidance Computer,Apple Crash,Ardenwood Volunteer, mmmmm N Navy Seal Team 6,NCRR Train-of-Lights,NORAD,the NFL is NFG B Baby Birds,Babbage Difference Engine,2nd Babbage Machine,Beale Tour "Pave Paws",Bladder,Bletchley Park - 1998,Burroughs/Electrodata docs,Buying a Car, O Obama, Mystery Man,Old FAA Radio and Beacon Navigation Aids,Old Folks Jokes,Oil - Shallow Oil Wells-Ferdig, Oil - Museum Of Offshore Operations Oscillator, Sulzer C Cats,China Trips 1996&2009,Computational Mathematics,Computer-History,Control Data Experience,Crazyfornia,Crete Nike Firing - 1998, P Pi, Plutonium,Primate, Edgar, Leakeypre-publication versions of Scientific Papers available
and the press, Adventures with the press,Bull Crap Journalism,Puzzlement,
D Deutsches Museum Q E Eclipse1999&2017,Ed's Biography,Einstein, RelativityElectrified CVCC,Electron-CryoTomography On-line classes,Energy,ERMA - 1950's B of A automation, R Radiation, Ionizing,RAMAC Project,,Robo-AO F Ford Model-T Auto,Fortran Histories,FPGA, a tale,Fujitsu SV600, S Safer Human-Computer Interfaces,SALT telescope,Scientific Data Management System,Amateur Seismology,Siesta Lovers,Solyndra-bankrupt, G G.E. Computer Dept,Good Ole Daize,Google Books - local copy,Gout diet recommendations,Gravitational Waves,Green Bank Radio Telescope,Gyroscope, T Thelen 1940s,Teletype Mod 28 Maintenance, TESS follow-on to Kepler Mission,Tulare 2012 Antique Farm Equipment,3 Doors Problem H Designing IT to make Health Care Safer at Gresham College UK,
U I IBM 1401Project,IBM Experience V Very Large Array, New Mexico J Japan Trip - 2005,Jeff Foxworthy comments on the Taliban, W Washington Hospital "Visit" :-(,Willits ROOTS Steam Engines, K Kepler,Don Knuth Pays Off (again??), X Xerox Alto Restoration , L L&N 4725,Left Foot Draggin,LIGO,London, Babbage Engine & Total Eclipse,Lord of Arabia book,Computer History Museum Docent Training, Lafarr Stuart on Lehmer & more,Landis&Gyr Y M Macular Pucker,Magnetic Question,Maps,Master Lock,MBARI,Measurex,Mendocino Motor,Missile Guidance,MRI,Murphy's Law Z ZEUS,
Some of my favorite videos
- The Applications of Matrices | What I wish my teachers told me way earlier,& 3Blue1Brown
- The Astonishing Simplicity of Everything
- Mathematics Gives You Wings
- Distant Early Warning Radar: "The DEW Line Story" 1958 AT&T - Western Electric
- Transistor Full Documentary
- Nuclear 101: How Nuclear Bombs Work, Part 1,Part 2 Nuclear Accidents: Lessons Learned (Dr. Brian Sheron)